Tune Up Fitness® Tune Up Fitness Blog » Easing Out of Illness

Easing Out of Illness

In my last blog post I wrote about using Yoga Tune Up® Therapy Balls for self-massage and stress relief. For a long time, I was living in fear of any movement because I didn’t want to trigger my most intense moments of dizziness. The Roll Model Method techniques helped me regain mobility and calm me down from the stress I was experiencing. After over a year of undiagnosed dizziness, one neurologist came to the conclusion that I have MAV (Migraine Associated Vertigo). He prescribed me a particular migraine medication and combined it with a magnesium supplement. After two months of using the medication and magnesium, I feel significantly better. I’m not symptom free, but I am able to find the confidence to live my life again.

One of the things that I am finally excited to get back to is exercise. I used the Yoga Tune Up® sequences to build strength and safely regain movement to every joint in my body. Because of the limitations I put on myself from not feeling well, months of inactivity reignited hip pain that had subsided a year prior. I spent a lot of time sitting on the couch in a cross-legged position researching my condition online. This habit of sitting with an externally rotated femur weakened my hip adductors and vastus medialus of the quadriceps. My slumped posture irritated the quadratus lomborum, overworked the piriformis and overstretched my already weak gluteal muscles. (I’m sure there’s more going on too!) This is when I started rolling and didn’t stop until I got myself into movement once again.

If you’re in a physical slump and need safe, effective, techniques to perform in the comfort of your home, try The Roll Model Method and Yoga Tune Up® movement techniques.

I do Prasarita Lunges in order to warm up my hips, tone the adductors, quadriceps, and gluteal muscles. Check out the link below.

Want to tone internal and external rotators of the hip for a symmetrical lower half? Check out this asymmetrical hip hike. This was helpful in keeping my body balanced.

Liked this article? Read Systemize Your Sides and Optimize Your Hip Work

After years of being told to stand up straight and relax, Lauren decided to take her first yoga class. She fell in love with the practice and knew it would always be a part of her life. She received her Vinyasa Yoga Certification from Prana Power Yoga NYC and found teaching others to be just as rewarding as her own personal practice. She gravitated towards Yoga Tune Up® as a way to expand her anatomy knowledge and learn personal techniques to live a longer, healthier life. She is thankful to Jill Miller's Yoga Tune Up® teachings for showing her that the truly advanced always know when to modify.

Easing Out of Illness

1. kaleen Lugo says:

Such great recommendations. I’m inspired to get down and do some of the asymmetrical hip flexibility tune up movements right now. Thank you!

2. Ernie M says:

I have been dealing with SI issues for years and at first, I was stretching my lower back and hips intensely to find temporary relief but only to discover that the pain was returning and was becoming more severe. Once I realized that my joints were hypermobile, I became afraid to move. While my SI pain diminished, other parts of my body started to have sensations of pain, strain, aches. It wasn’t until I started to understand the cause of the pain and began to focus on both strength and flexibility practices that my body started to come into balance. Then I discovered YTU balls and that skyrocketed my recovery. It’s so important to remember that movement really is medicine when the right movements are used at the right time of our recovery process. Thanks for this reminder and sharing the hip hike video. I love it!

3. Kristin Webb says:

I also have Migraine Associated Vertigo! I learned that I can do some exercises even in the middle of an episode of vertigo, and feel better afterwards. Your observation about weak adductors really hits home – I spent years partially sedentary from illness and my legs are still “loose.” The YTU work is helping me rebuild strength and stability.

4. Tracy Wagner says:

Thank you for the great videos, I love the knee on the Yoga block to tone and strengthen the internal and external rotators.

5. Katelynn Corman says:

I definitely know the feeling of not wanting to trigger pain, as I suffered from intense low back pain for a long time. So instead of trying to figure it out (at the time), I became nervous to do anything…until I found the YTU therapy balls! (sign). That moved me into a curious place and from there I decided that I needed more information in my path of self discovery. Thank you for reminding me that this can happen to any of us, and we’re the lucky ones who have ‘woken up’ and found healing and strengthening techniques through investigation and knowledge. Thanks for sharing!

6. Linda says:

Thank you for the very informative article. I have known about the Prasarita lunges to warm up your hips but I love the Hip flexibility stretch as well. I will definitely teach my friend who was just complaining about this issue, this pose.

Linda

7. sue says:

so inspiring a story. congratulations for persevering and finding your way back to wholeness.