Tune Up Fitness® Tune Up Fitness Blog » Bunions and More

Bunions and More

By: | Wednesday, August 17th, 2016 | Comments 13

I have written at least a couple dozen blogs since my last entry many moons ago. And they are all in my head. Time to put thoughts on computer.

At this very moment, I am semi-reclined with my left foot elevated and iced following surgery a week ago. My hapless disregard for the health of my left foot over the years allowed a debilitating hallux valgus, AKA bunion, and hammer toe to progress and require surgery.

There is some controversy as to the origin of bunions. According to researchers who examined over 2,400 adults from the Framingham Foot Study, significant heritability of bunions was found.  This study claims to be the first findings of heritability of foot disorders in humans. I am not convinced.

Although I am only a study of one, my experience over the years goes like this: Commit the time and effort to manually flexing and stretching each individual toe downward toward the sole of the foot, repetitively, daily. Include ankle and foot joint mobility, and lower leg muscular flexibility and strength exercises.

With consistent, daily, repetitive movement, I enjoyed happy, painless feet. Life gets busy, right? And there is only so much time I have to commit to my daily fitness program…45 minutes on my toes took a back seat over the years.

Hallux valgus...preventing you from kicking butt and taking names

Hallux valgus…preventing you from kicking butt and taking names

And, of course, my shoes, including my running shoes. I thought I chose well, picking a running shoe with a wide toe box to accommodate my developing bunion. It turns out, according to Dr. Ray McClanahan, of nwfootankle.com out of Portland, OR, our rigid footwear is the culprit. Industrialized world footwear elevates the heel above the ball of the foot, bends the toes upward (known as toe spring), and squeezes the toes together.

Over time, this deforms the foot, leading to a host of foot problems, gait abnormalities, musculoskeletal pathologies. My path to the operating room was a slippery slope of my negligence and need for further education on foot health.

In Every Woman’s Guide to Foot Pain Relief, Katy Bowman clearly highlights that we need to know and love our feet if we wish to enjoy our golden years as mobile and independent individuals. We must embrace that in order for the entire body to function optimally, we must move more AND move better!

Come back Friday to delve into the foot care regimen I intend to follow post-surgery.

Enjoyed this article? Read Adductor Hallicus: Bunions Be Gone

Lisa Federico, MA, is a Yoga Tune Up® Level 1 teacher, ACE Certified Personal Trainer, RYT-200 teacher, and Institute for Integrative Nutrition Health Coach. Lisa emphatically shares her passion for movement with her students. In class, she speaks the language of anatomy and kinesiology, bolstering her participants awareness of their own bodies. She remains an eager student, herself, digging into the complexities of the human body and its phenomenal capabilities. Sidestepping spinal surgery in 2008, Lisa unearthed her path to completing her first full Ironman in 2014. Daily, consistent , intentional movement applied to the body you know so well...your own...will compel you to live a robust, expansive life. Lisa inspires her students to embrace their body, mind and spirit...to self-explore and savor the ride!

Bunions and More

1. After 30 years in 4 inch heels and a slightly torn (but unrepaired) acl on my right knee I finally developed a challenged left hip and a bunion on my left foot (hallux of course). Articles like Lisa’s will always grab my attention. I am a true fan of Katy Bowman and will look forward to following Lisa’s progress with her bunion. I have no intention of surgery as I have not had any clients or friends with any long term success stories. Following the methods of both the Roll Model and Katy Bowman’s book I have found improvement but still have a long way to go.

2. Poirsha says:

I have a bunion, but not too big and does not cause pain. I never knew why or how it came about, but i like how you described the foot positioning in our shoes, because that makes a lot of sense! Our toes are scrunching in and causing a bulge on the opposite side. I feel like mine is hereditary because my Dad and his sisters feet all look similar with bunions, but no one’s have been painful or bad enough for removal…maybe it is just a little bit of an eye sore! hahaha

3. Barbara says:

I do believe that heredity can make us more prone to bunions /perhaps not cause them but contribute to their occurrence. My mom had horrendously painful and large bunions on both feet, some of this caused by improper footware. I never wore pointy shoes and hardly ever high heels, and a bunion began to appear on my left foot in my teens. I still have it today, fortunately combined with a straight big toe and good gaps between my toes. Both my mother and I had a good deal of hypermobility and laxity in connective tissue — you can pretty much take my foot and roll it into a tube, it’s that flexible. It’s been very difficult for me to create stability in the transverse arch to reverse the bunion, although I’d love to do that! I suppose the main point is lack of pain — the bunion doesn’t look fantastic, but I don’t know if I can aim for full recovery. Perhaps with minimal footwear, as Katie Bowman suggests.

4. Josh says:

It is very important to give your feet some love! Yoga Tuneup Ball work, foot strengthening exercises, etc. are all very important. However, in my experience, most of the time bunions have less to do with the foot and more to do with hip mobility and function. If you can’t load and support your body, particularly in gait, with proper actions taking place at the hip, the feet will pay the price.

5. Pascale hazledine says:

Self care is definitely where to start,using stretches and rolling the ball are such simple things but so effective ,I do this with all young moms in pre-natal yoga,we need to teach this to them while they are young!

6. Jayme says:

I have not yet experienced the discomfort of a bunion, but as a runner I know the debilitating effect a foot injury can have on your level of activity. We are woefully unappreciative of our tender ‘tootsies’ until it’s often too late. I will be doing more research on this topic thanks to your blog post Lisa, thanks!
    Jayme

7. Andi says:

Thank you for your blog. Great tips on bunion prevention and foot care.

8. Kelly says:

I am also not convinced of the hereditary argument for bunions. Standing with improper footwear for long periods of time is what did it for me. Wondering if i will be able to avoid the surgery with more diligent self care

9. marthe says:

Thanks for this article. I have almost given up on my bunions that I have had over many years of dancing. I will try to commit giving my feet more TLC and attention with the flexing and stretching.

10. Dustin Brown says:

Its so interesting that sports shoes are often the culprit!! I have my studio members do many YTU® inspired moves for the health of their feet and have even had a client exclaim after a class that her bunions are shrinking!! (Straight out of savasana! lol ) Thanks for the great article!

11. Shari Williams shari Williams says:

Lisa great information. I always have students with bunions and the big ah ha for me is that of flexing the toe downward! I instruct toe isolations and ankle circles, but after flexing my toe here sitting in my chair as I write this-it is a wonderful stretch, and I notice my foot that has no bunion at all was much easier than the one that has a start of one–thank you for my future of functional feet!

12. Charmaine Garry says:

Great article! I too have done work to correct and strengthen my feet. It takes time for things to change and a conscience effort to get some work in everyday. The bunion on my right foot is better, but the left foot will take more work.

13. Griffin says:

There are many problems that bunions can create if we do not take the right precautions. The key of avoiding bunions is to wear roomy shoes that have wide and deep toe boxes (the area that surrounds the toes), low or flat heels, and good arch supports. One should avoid tight, narrow, or high-heeled shoes that put pressure on the big toe joint.